Tuesday 9 October 2012

8 days to Litfest...

I'm getting in early today, because my guest today, the amazing illustrator Guy Parker-Rees, was so very speedy with his answers. This will give me an unwarranted reputation for efficiency, but don't tell anyone; I'm happy to take the credit...

Guy's books include treats such as Giraffes Can't Dance and Spookyrumpus: just looking at the pictures will make you want to dance along. He'll be running a Picture Book Master Class for the young artists-to-be at Litfest, on Saturday 20th October, starting at 10am. It's going to be a great event, so make sure you don't miss out: booking and details are at www.litfest.org

So, a big hand, please, for Guy Parker-Rees!


Guy, I've spent many happy hours with my kids reading (and re-reading!) their favourite picture books. They've all designed their own stories and characters over time, which of course I have stashed away for when they're famous. What was your very first story and character, and does your mum still have it in a drawer?

I found some pictures I had painted as a child a few years ago and was shocked to see that they are very similar to what I am doing now? I think this might be the first book I ever made!



That's lovely! Thanks for sharing it with us :-) Why do you think that animal characters appeal so much to children? And is there an animal that you've always wanted to have in a book, but haven't got around to yet?

I have always loved animals. As a child I wanted to be an elephant. I was born in Africa so that affected my choice, I think: I've always particularly liked African animals. I like the fact that animals can be universally appreciated and identified with. When drawing a child you have to put them in a specific cultural context and a child looking at the book might be more likely to think- my family doesn’t look like that. I’ve always wanted to do a book about meerkats- yes, even before they were famous on telly!

You're going to be at Litfest on Saturday 20th October, with a picture book masterclass for kids. What can they expect from the morning?

I hope the children coming will help me make up a brand new animal picture book character. I will tell them a little bit about how I come up with ideas for characters and how I paint the pictures. Then they can all create their own character. There will be reading of stories and maybe my friend Gerald, the giraffe, might come out for a dance at the end- but he might not, he’s a bit shy.

I'm sure the children will give him lots of encouragement! Now, I have so many favourite illustrators that it would take until the end of the festival to list them. If I had to choose one imaginary world to visit, it would be a toss up between 'Brambly Hedge' and 'Meg and Mog', although I'm now going to spend the rest of the day thinking about other ones... Who has been an influence on your illustration, and which world would you choose to have a day out in?

As a child I always loved Richard Scarry’s books and in my latest book, Tom and Millie’s Great Big Treasure Hunt, I wanted to create a world like that: a world that’s friendly, jolly and bustling and with so much detail you can get lost in all the things going on. Oh, and full of lots of different animals, of course.




Picture books can pack a lot of emotion into a short space. What else can illustration do that words sometimes can't? And why don't books for grownups have more pictures?


I think picture books can show feeling that you might not want to articulate but when you see them it makes you feel less alone with those feelings. My favourite characters are always the little ones who might feel a bit left out of the centre stage action: looking on, watching and wondering. I was the youngest of four so that’s probably me! Also, I think pictures provide a shared space. When a parent is looking at a picture book with a child  they can both point things out, talk about what’s going on and what they feel about it: put the world to rights generally! With just the words, everyone is in their own imagined world, albeit guided there by the author, and maybe as adults we value this private space? Children seem happier to share it.


Thanks, Guy, it was great talking to you. Your last comment reminds me of a time I was in a French library with my kids. The eldest was the only reader, and she was so frustrated at not being able to read the words! The younger two, on the other hand, were more than happy just looking at the pictures.

If you want to find out more about Guy, visit www.guyparkerrees.com. I did, and spent quite some time making the animals dance... And don't forget to book for his Picture Book Master Class on Saturday 20th October. You know where to click! www.litfest.org.






No comments:

Post a Comment